Mr. Alba has been practicing as a trial attorney since graduating from law school, and he has obtained favorable results for his clients at jury trials and with motions in several areas of the law. Some of Mr. Alba's results including the following:
• In 2014 Mr. Alba prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in federal court which dismissed all claims against his client in a suit for employment discrimination and other related claims.
• In 2019, Mr. Alba defended one of his clients against a multi-million dollar claim for trademark infringement. Mr. Alba prevailed on a motion to dismiss the claims entirely.
• In 2020, Mr. Alba defended his client in a jury trial in which the plaintiffs sought more than $350,000 in damages. The jury returned a verdict of less than $18,000 for the plaintiffs.
• In 2021, Mr. Alba represented a shareholder in a tech startup concerning the value of the shareholder's ownership interest. Mr. Alba successfully negotiated a payout of over $3 million for his client.
• In 2022, Mr. Alba successfully negotiated a $1.4 million settlement for his client in a complex property dispute.
• In 2022, Mr. Alba prevailed on a motion to dismiss claims of over $1 million against his client for lack of jurisdiction.
Before Joining Magleby Cataxinos & Greenwood, Mr. Alba was a trial attorney with the Salt Lake Legal Defender Association where he chaired more than twenty jury trials and obtained not guilty verdicts and dismissals in all types of criminal cases.
Mr. Alba graduated from the University of Utah in 2006 with a degree in philosophy. He obtained his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School in 2010 where he attended on full scholarship. While in law school, Mr. Alba clerked in the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice. Mr. Alba was also a member of the Moot Court Board and the Journal for the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
Mr. Alba is active in the legal community. He has served on the boards of the Young Lawyers Division, the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Utah Minority Bar Association. He is currently serving as a member of the Utah Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on the Utah Rules of Evidence. Mr. Alba was voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah's "Legal Elite," in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022, as published in Utah Business Magazine. Additionally, Mr. Alba has been selected as a Mountain States "Rising Star" and "Super Lawyer" in the Super Lawyers rating service in 2019, 2020, and 2021.
Areas Of Practice
- Complex Civil Litigation/Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Utah, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of Utah, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: Moot Court Board
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Major: Philosophy
- In Utah, Scanning a Person's Face or Iris to Determine Identity is a Search Justified Only in Limited Circumstances, Utah Bar Journal, November, 2011
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Utah State Bar Young Lawyers Division, Member, 2010 to Present
- Utah Minority Bar Association, Member , 2014 to Present
- Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2010 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Department of Justice, Law Clerk
- Salt Lake Legal Defender Association, Trial Attorney